Manny's Reviews > The Railway Children

The Railway Children by E. Nesbit

Sep 23, 14

bookshelves: children, story-review, celebrity-death-match, pooh-dante
Read in January, 1965, read count: 2

Pilot for the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, The Railway Children versus Atlas Shrugged

It's a capacity crowd tonight at the Surrealist Boxing Stadium, and everyone's wondering if The Railway Children have a chance against Atlas Shrugged. I can see them in the blue corner, I must say they look nervous, they know they're behind on weight and reach but their supporters are out in force, that's always worth a lot, Bobbie is trying to calm Phyllis, she's whispering something in her ear. And it's the bell, Atlas Shrugged goes straight for them, oh no, she's already got the children's father arrested, we could be looking at a first round knockout here, but the mother rallies, she's ducking and weaving and she's managed to get the kids off to Yorkshire, they move into their new home. The ref is calling time, and I see there's a railway going right past their back garden, I think it's a Taggart line, this is more exciting than we dared hope.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Railway Children.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Paganus Phew, I felt every blow against the left-liberal empire.

Manny Thank you! I'm afraid I've never even attended a boxing match, but I guess I've seen a fair number in movies...

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Paganus I think I've been to two and, unlike theatrical violence, people got broken noses, they suffered and hurt, and there was blood flying all over the place (visible 20 rows back).
And that was just the audience.

message 4: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker A pilot after the tournament has started? Say what?

Manny Whitaker wrote: "A pilot after the tournament has started? Say what?"

I posted it ages ago... just stuck on the header now to make clear it was a pilot, since I wanted to add it to my new celebrity-death-match shelf :)

Manny Thank you!

The odd thing is that, back then, Paul and I clearly thought Celebrity Death Matches had to be between carefully selected opponents. But in fact, it works just as well when the pairings are completely random.

I can't help feeling that this tells us something about our way of understanding literature.

☯Bettie☯ You lot are SO good at this sort of thing, however it appears to be an art-form requiring an acquired taste as I have noticed that mere mortals just skim down a CDM to the winner line.

And they call themselves readers, PAH!

Manny I have noticed that mere mortals just skim down a CDM to the winner line.

And they call themselves readers, PAH!

If you have a competing review, it's too much to expect you to vote against yourself. And similarly, if you have a review on the same side, your enemy's enemy is your friend.

But if you haven't posted anything in the match, I think you're morally obliged to vote based on the quality of the review. Otherwise, it just comes down to the number of reviews posted on each side, which is very dull!

☯Bettie☯ Manny wrote: "I have noticed that mere mortals just skim down a CDM to the winner line.

And they call themselves readers, PAH!

Yes, it was this latter scenario I was thinking of. People who read the reviews but do not personally enter into the competition.

Ah well, more fun left for us, eh?