Manny's Reviews > Pat the Yuppie

Pat the Yuppie by Jim Becker

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: strongly-recommended, well-i-think-its-funny, children, why-not-call-it-poetry
Read in August, 1987

** spoiler alert ** The Greatest Book I Know That Can Be Read In Five Minutes Or Less. Trust me.

It's a hysterically funny late 80s parody of Pat the Bunny, and is ostensibly a touch-and-feel book for very small children. Except that, instead of being about farm animals, it's about yuppies. Here's how it starts:
Meet Robert
and Kathleen.
They own many nice things.
And they keep
very busy.
They're Yuppies.
You can own many
nice things.
And you can
keep very busy.
My kids adored it when they were about 2 years old, and I don't know how many times I read it aloud to them. "Robert and Kathleen love their new condo!" explains the narrator. "It cost $375,000." (Property prices were lower then, of course). "Robert likes the rough exposed bricks the best. How rough are the bricks? Soooo rough!"

And then you and your 2 year old can reach out and feel the rough piece of sandpaper that's pasted in over one of the bricks. My kids thought this was great! They also enjoyed the soft L.L. Bean seat covers on the BMW and the piece of rubber-band pasta from the new Simac pasta-maker.

The book's out of print, but you can find second-hand copies if you look around. If you have a kid in the right age range, get one, and you'll soon know it by heart too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pat the Yuppie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Perfect for the next time I have to go to a white elephant party. Last time I had to bring the Book of Mormon. Thanks, Manny. :)

Manny You may discover that you want to keep it. Let me know what you decide!

message 3: by Matthieu (last edited Jun 04, 2009 09:06PM) (new)

Matthieu What, pray tell, is a white elephant party?

January, 1990, eh? March, 1990 was certainly a nice time...

message 4: by Jen (last edited Jun 04, 2009 09:14PM) (new)

Jen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Swap

Hope that helps!

Wiki fails to mention that sometimes it is played whilst enjoying a refreshing adult beverage.

message 5: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu Thanks, Jen. Adult beverages are certainly... refreshing...

Manny Matt wrote: "What, pray tell, is a white elephant party?

January, 1990, eh? March, 1990 was certainly a nice time..."

Wait... I got the date wrong. I must have read this in mid-1987, not early 1990. I remember now, I bought it on the way back from a conference in Vancouver...

message 7: by Gulla (new)

Gulla kulla Manny wrote: "Matt wrote: "What, pray tell, is a white elephant party?

January, 1990, eh? March, 1990 was certainly a nice time..."

You bought it when we still lived in Sweden and it was boom times.

message 8: by Manny (last edited Aug 23, 2011 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Manny You bought it when we still lived in Sweden and it was boom times.

message 9: by Gulla (new)

Gulla kulla Manny wrote: "You bought it when we still lived in Sweden and it was boom times.

That is definitely right. I'm almost sure it was 1987. Do you know where our copy is?"

Yes. It's with all the kids books iin the downstairs book shelf. No way we were allowed to throw that away.
I wouldn't have wanted to it's a classic.