Carrie Daws's Reviews > And the Shofar Blew

And the Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: christian-fiction
Read from August 01 to 13, 2012

Many are familiar with the great line from Spiderman: With great power comes great responsibility. Often, the reverse is also true:with great responsibility comes great power. The question for those in power is how to maintain humility and accountability. Francine Rivers presents and then answers these questions very well in her book And the Shofar Blew.

As I read the book, I could see the train wrecks coming. Paul building his platform and losing his family, a wife attracted to an available male, a teenage boy being ignored by the one he most wanted attuned to him. As I expected, Ms. Rivers developed the characters very well and gave us great insight into their flaws, temptations and potential greatness.

It was encouraging to watch some succeed and flee temptation, and realistic to watch others fail and fall. She also beautifully worked in great forgiveness on multiple fronts throughout the novel, often with characters struggling to do what God wanted but most ultimately obeying.

Anyone who is familiar with Francine River's writing will not be disappointed with this book. I recommend it to those seeking a realistic but hope-filled glimpse into the life of church leadership as well as people in leadership who want a fresh reminder into the dangers of pride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And the Shofar Blew.

08/04/2012
2.0% ""We're talking about closing down the church, not giving up our faith," Otis said hotly.
Samuel looked at him. "Can you do one without the other?""
show 12 hidden updates…