Sonia's Reviews > Red Heart Tattoo

Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, bookurious-blog-it-forward, in-between-ratings
Read in August, 2012

2.75/5

While Red Heart Tattoo succeeds in portraying the grief and horror that comes with a tragic event, it ultimately fell flat for me.

The novel opens with regular high school life. For me, this served two purposes. I had the chance to be acquainted with the characters and I also got to know them a little bit before tragedy struck. This way, when it did happen, the full range of emotions was felt. I will say though that at times, the first part of the novel dragged for me. It was interesting to a point but not terribly exciting.

When the book did start moving, in part two, was when I really started liking it. I really liked how the events were shown to affect the characters afterward. It felt very realistic and although it never got to the crying stage, I was emotional reading it. This look on the bombing - the way that people comprehended and coped with it - was probably my favourite aspect of the book.

Red Heart Tattoo features five different perspectives. While I appreciated the insight into the lives of different 'types' of characters, I feel as though it also prevented me from getting as deep into a single one as I wanted to. For this story, I would have preferred fewer points of view and a more in-depth look at just one or two characters to really connect with them on that personal level. By the end of the book, a lot of them still felt cookie-cutter and clichéd to me.

Overall, this is a heartfelt portrayal of a high school hit by destruction but not the book for me. I would have preferred more well-developped characters and a closer, deeper look into them.

Cover Comments: I really, really thought that this was a romance novel just from the cover. But... it's not. I mean, there is a bit of that but it's in no way the main point of the story. Not really a fan of the cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Heart Tattoo.