Miranda (M.E.) Brumbaugh's Reviews > The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It

The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People by David  Niven

5361901
Aug 05, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, books-read-2012
Read from August 01 to 06, 2012

Concise and to the point, this book lists 100 simple ways to improve your life by increasing your level of happiness. Following each 'secret' you'll find the scientific research to back it up. But don't misread me here; the steps are really simple and easy to apply. Yet these are definitely not your run-of-the-mill, one person's opinion, made-up factoids. And that makes it a great read.

Some of my favorites include reading books and using aromatherapy. Obviously since I was reading that book, I was thrilled to know I was making myself happy, which was a given. To read that, statistically, people who read books not only increase their imagination and entertainment levels, but that they are 8 percent happier than people who don't read was a plus. Just some reinforcement there.

And the use of aromatherapy is something I might've considered, but reading the scientific proof that happy scents make happy people and vice versa was enlightening.

Out of the 100 simple techniques, about 90 of them are simple changes anyone can make on a daily basis; approximately 5 are life choices that are not so simple and would take some effort; and 5 or so were a bit vague but then again maybe I was a bit tired when reading them. All in all, I would suggest reading this and may even read it again just to reinforce some of the ideas.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People.

08/01
02/21 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Very interesting review, Miranda! Especially the part about reading making you happier.:) I know that after I've done some reading, I feel better about myself. It's a great sense of accomplishment!