Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter's Reviews > Reluctant Surrender

Reluctant Surrender by Riley Murphy

Review completed October 5, 2012

"I'm not afraid of your tears. Let me own them, even if it's just for a little while."

Photobucket

I will be straightforward here. Reluctant Surrender was hard to rate. Overall I liked it, it was good enough but I'm going to put it on my shelf books-everyone-loved-but-Baba.

After reading Reluctant Surrender I know for sure why I prefer to read Femdom stories. I'd like to make it very clear that my aversion for naked, crawling women who submit to their Master's every wish did not influence my rating for this book in any way.

It's been a long time since I've read a BDSM book and I'm glad that I read this particular story. Women who are waiting at home, completely naked in submissive pose, wanting to serve and please their Master, are a mystery to me. Being humiliated, addressed in a demeaning manner and ultimately enjoying all this is a rather baffling concept.

"Here's something you do know. My normal is as follows. I like to spank, suck, f*ck, cherish, challenge, discipline, correct, entice and control my woman. You may think that seems demeaning. I know you like that word, but I'm smart enough to know there's no honor in degrading a girl who thinks she's worthless. I make sure my woman knows her value because I don't do all these things to her, I do them for her. There's a vast difference between the two."

Agreed, there is a difference. However, I don't care about this power exchange and people who tell me that the sub has ALL the power and the Dom does everything for the sub. That said, don't get me wrong please, I am not judging any woman who feels comfortable with this concept, however, I'm stating a fact how this story affected me in a way…I don't know…this goes way deeper than I thought it would.

I am ashamed to say that my very progressive and democratic country (Switzerland) denied our female population the right to vote up until 1972 (by the by this is the year I was born). That said, I don't think that I'm a feminist, however, I believe in equality. Very much so. I want equal rights for everyone. And when I see strong women like Colin who like and ultimately enjoy to be treated like that, then a lot of things I believe in are vanishing into thin air. To give up the right of self-determination is unthinkable for me. This is my very personal hang-up and again, it has nothing to do with my rating. Hence, if BDSM then I think I'm sure that I prefer it the other way round. Femdom. Definitely.

The Good
This may seem a bit odd but I really like the author's voice. The dialogue is witty and entertaining. For a BDSM story it was refreshingly funny at times.

"I don't want to quibble. So let's just say I'd rather die than sleep with you. Is that better?"
His eyes twinkled. "No, because with me you can do both."
Those words made her squirm. "You're nuts."
"I prefer resourceful. It's true. I've been known to deliver la petite mort in multiples."
"With multiple partners I'd wager," she grumbled and looked away.
"Sometimes."

Ethan is tall, dark, very yummy. Simply put, he is a great hunk. However, what I found so appealing about the story was the heroine, Colin; she is intelligent, curious, sassy and at times even a bit snarky and yet she is a bit insecure which made her even more accessible. Yeah, cute Colin gave as good as she got. Oh my, I really enjoyed to see little Miss Smarty Pants arguing with Ethan. Way to go, Colin! Then again, throughout the whole story I was never quite convinced if she would fit in Ethan's world. Yes, of course there is a HEA and you know what that means.

I was kinda surprised and at the same time very pleased to see that Ethan and Colin didn't hit the sack immediately. Unfortunately the hitting-the-sack part fell into a less than pleasant category. Yes, scroll down to The Bad

And then there was this oh so rare moment when Baba was on the edge of her seat and she said to herself….HALLELUJAH!! Well, maybe it was more of a yell. Ah, yes, before I forget it let me express my sincere gratitude to Ms. Murphy. Thank you so much for this huge and very special moment when Colin used her safeword. Whew. I can't remember when this happened for the last time. As it is, I have read quite a lot of BDSM books and if memory serves me right then Colin is the second heroine who made use of her safeword. How nice is that for a change?

The Bad
The worst of the worst was the endearment "baby girl". By the by, it's not related to any particular play scene. No matter how you look at it, it's a turn-off, creepy as hell and it evokes connotations of babies and toddlers--in fact, cute little girls. Every time I heard him saying baby girl I had to roll my eyes. No,…J.U.S.T. N.O.
Imagine, I have an alternative for you. How about little girl? Gee! I'm sorry, but I didn't like that either.

While I liked a few of the BDSM Tapas scenes, I was downright disappointed by their first "real" sex scene. I was waiting and waiting and then…this quick, pitiful f*ck…I mean what the h*ll? That's all? In fact, it didn't do anything for me, and it felt so incredibly anticlimactic. Well, it saddens me to say that I didn't appreciate any of the intercourse scenes. They were the opposite of inspiring--just too bland and boring. And have you ever heard of the term "sawing" in and out of a woman's p*ssy? Er…I found that mighty odd, to say the least.

What I find very intriguing is that even though the steam and eroticism were palpable, the lack of real intimacy and sensuality left me rather perplexed. But again, I think that achieving a nice steam level is so much easier than writing an all-encompassing intimacy that would have won me over in the end. But that's exactly what will make the difference between a good erotic story and one that is outstanding, simply sublime. A story that I'd devour in a heartbeat.

Interestingly I will be reading more by this author. As I mentioned before I like her voice and I know that she will publish an erotic contemp romance. And in case she'd decide to write a Femdom story I'd be so there to read it as well.

"I'm done with chasing after the queen and being distracted by the rest of the pieces on the board. I want to capture the king, that's my end game."

Baba's Sexilicious Coefficient for Reluctant Surrender
I'm talking about a range from 1 (very low) up to 5 (very high). Keep in mind that steam ratings are going to be just as subjective as book ratings. And my steam rating does not reflect in any way how well written the sex scenes are.

Chemistry 2

Sensuality 1

Steam 4

Eroticism 4

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reluctant Surrender.

10/02/2012
40.0% " Photobucket
Very good so far! The h is snarky, sassy, a bit insecure, endearing. The H? YUMMY!! Swoon-worthy. My only issue is my very personal hang-up. Will elaborate later." 5 comments
10/03/2012
76.0% " Photobucket
The endearment "baby girl" is getting on my nerves. GAHHHHHH! Oh wait, there is little girl yet. How about that? *rolls eyes*" 6 comments
10/04/2012
100.0% "After reading this book I know for sure that I prefer to read Femdom stories."

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko This book sounds good. Will be watching for your review.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Wow! Hot! This sounds very good, B. Looking forward to your updates and review. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter @Jo, Kelly & Em
So far so good. It's hilarious! Well, I expected another serious BDSM story and this one here seems to be on the "lighter" side. Will keep you posted.

Duchess Nicole Love to hear what you think, also Baba. I'm trying to come up with some lighter BDSM lists...some of them scare me :) I'll keep an eye out for your review!!

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Duchess Nicole wrote: "Love to hear what you think, also Baba. I'm trying to come up with some lighter BDSM lists...some of them scare me :) I'll keep an eye out for your review!!"

I hope you don't mind my jumping in here, Nichole and B. I also prefer lighter bdsm and my favorite is Make Me Shiver. It's a nice combination of BDSM erotica and romance. Maybe you could check it out sometime. :)

Duchess Nicole Kelly wrote: "Duchess Nicole wrote: "Love to hear what you think, also Baba. I'm trying to come up with some lighter BDSM lists...some of them scare me :) I'll keep an eye out for your review!!"

I hope you do..."

Added it, Kelly! Thanks so much! It's hard to find middle ground BDSM with love-type reads. I'll definitely give it a shot!

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Duchess Nicole wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Duchess Nicole wrote: "Love to hear what you think, also Baba. I'm trying to come up with some lighter BDSM lists...some of them scare me :) I'll keep an eye out for your review!!"
..."

That's great, Nicole! I really hope you like it! :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Duchess Nicole wrote: "Love to hear what you think, also Baba. I'm trying to come up with some lighter BDSM lists...some of them scare me :) I'll keep an eye out for your review!!"

Ok, Nicole. Will post a review. This is nothing dark at all.

Duchess Nicole Thanks, Baba! No pressure to review, if you weren't going to already :) I went ahead and added it, in anticipation, LOL!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Duchess Nicole wrote: "Thanks, Baba! No pressure to review, if you weren't going to already :) I went ahead and added it, in anticipation, LOL!"

I just posted my review but I will tidy it up tomorrow.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Baba, and I totally get what you mean. I'm not that against bdsm, read and liked some books, but that slave thing just isn't my deal. I'm more of a "just in the bedroom" kinda gal.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Blacky wrote: "Great review Baba, and I totally get what you mean. I'm not that against bdsm, read and liked some books, but that slave thing just isn't my deal. I'm more of a "just in the bedroom" kinda gal."

Thanks, Blacky. I think we're on the same page here. The play thing in the bedroom is totally ok. But the submissive thing, kneeling, crawling, the hands behind the back, not allowed to speak...and frankly when she was kneeling at his side and he treated her like a dog...sheesh...I don't get it why women like to do that. Whatever. As long as it's not me...to each their own, right?

Blacky *Romance Addict* yeah everyone gets off on different things right? oh well :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Blacky wrote: "yeah everyone gets off on different things right? oh well :)"

Yeah, exactly. :)

message 15: by Joy (new)

Joy Really good review Baba and I understand exactly what you are saying

message 16: by Karla (new)

Karla Nicely done Baba!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) This book is not for me. Nicely said, Baba.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Baba! :)

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Great review, Baba! Think I'm going to have to pass on this one.

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill As always a thorough and honest review, B! You already know where I stand on this one, right?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Joy wrote: "Really good review Baba and I understand exactly what you are saying"

Thank you, Joy. Well, I'd say to each their own. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Karla wrote: "Nicely done Baba!"

Thank you, Karla!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Kristen wrote: "This book is not for me. Nicely said, Baba."

I understand, Kristen, and thank you. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Lazy Jeff wrote: "Great review, Baba! :)"

Thank you, Daria. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Kelly wrote: "Great review, Baba! Think I'm going to have to pass on this one."

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Jill wrote: "As always a thorough and honest review, B! You already know where I stand on this one, right?"

Thank you, Jill. Yes, I really know where you are standing. :)

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi Baba! I love this review! You made “ew” (sawing?), giggle, and think. You’re right—I’ve actually not come across a book with the use of the safe word yet. That is a nice change. Wonderful review, Baba! :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Laura wrote: "Hi Baba! I love this review! You made “ew” (sawing?), giggle, and think. You’re right—I’ve actually not come across a book with the use of the safe word yet. That is a nice change. Wonderful re..."

Hey Laura, thanks so much for your nice comment, I appreciate it. Yeah, sawing...er...it's kinda weird. I'm thinking of a saw and trees and wood. Well, and then I think about having a woody and that a man's d*ck is a tool as well. Right? Lol Sheesh...my dirty mind is working. *snicker*

message 29: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ "Sawing"?! Very weird, indeed! Love this review and your pictures for you status updates, Baba. :)

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura LOL! Right! The word brings up all the wrong kind of images. Haha….Saws and horror movies. (oops that could be just me) ;)

message 31: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ It doesn't sound very comfortable or pleasurable, that's for sure. I had to giggle reading that. I think I'm going to add this one, though. I'm intrigued now.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter ♥Rachel♥ wrote: ""Sawing"?! Very weird, indeed! Love this review and your pictures for you status updates, Baba. :)"

Thanks heaps, Rachel. I aim to please. :)
The sawing part did not quite appeal to me. Who would have guessed? Lol

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Laura wrote: "LOL! Right! The word brings up all the wrong kind of images. Haha….Saws and horror movies. (oops that could be just me) ;)"

Lol Gosh, Laura, you are too funny. Seriously, my thoughts were entirely sexual, no horror movies at all. Haha...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "It doesn't sound very comfortable or pleasurable, that's for sure. I had to giggle reading that. I think I'm going to add this one, though. I'm intrigued now."

Yeah, you do that, Rachel. I didn't say it's not pleasurable. I mean it's a good book, just nothing outstanding. Love me some steam but what I really want as well is intimacy and sensuality. The chemistry was pretty good in the beginning but then...somehow...it did cool off. Hot sex scenes are no guarantee that you will feel the intimacy or any sensuality for that matter. I hope you will like it.

message 35: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Baba wrote: "♥Rachel♥ wrote: "It doesn't sound very comfortable or pleasurable, that's for sure. I had to giggle reading that. I think I'm going to add this one, though. I'm intrigued now."

Yeah, you do that, ..."

I hope so too, Baba. I usually want intimacy and sensuality more than just hot sex scenes, but sometimes just hot sex is fun. I read the description on this and it sort of reminded me of a book Laura added Make Me Shiver. The synopsis sounds really similar. I might try that one first. I've been dying to read it.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura Ooooh me too, Rachel! Damn! Now I don’t know what to read this weekend. haha…YOU—*points at Rachel*—Always messing with my to-read pile. ;)

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura Baba wrote: "Lol Gosh, Laura, you are too funny. Seriously, my though..."

*giggles* Love my horror! :)

message 38: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Laura wrote: "Ooooh me too, Rachel! Damn! Now I don’t know what to read this weekend. haha…YOU—*points at Rachel*—Always messing with my to-read pile. ;)"

Lol, Laura! Turn about is fair play. You do the same to me! Although, I think Bethany is the queen of messing with my reading schedule! :)

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura haha...So true! Off to bug Bethany... :)

message 40: by Tori (new)

Tori  smexys_sidekick I love your review. It summed up nicely some of the problems I have with D/s relationships in books.

message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Baba wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Great review, Baba! Think I'm going to have to pass on this one."

Thank you, Kelly! Just keep in mind that most of the readers loved it. It was good, just not a great read."

I will, Baba. Thanks! :)

message 42: by Heller (new)

Heller Interesting review, Baba. I always enjoy your take on books. I don't think this is something that I'd read, not because of the review, but more for my taste.

message 43: by Ilhem (last edited Oct 05, 2012 09:41AM) (new)

Ilhem Interesting review, Baba.
Submissive women in books make me very uncomfortable, too and I have a huge problem with humiliation. I do understand it is BDSM and a power play but I can't take it.
I like it when both partners fight for power, though.

I'll try this author with an other book.

message 44: by Shelley (new)

Shelley I love this review! It's good to know where you stand and appreciate you explaining your motives. Personally I have no problem with submission.
But still "sawing" in and out' OMG really? How fickle of me that, that one word turns me off a book.

message 45: by Glamdring (new)

Glamdring Great review, Baba!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Baba wrote: "♥Rachel♥ wrote: "It doesn't sound very comfortable or pleasurable, that's for sure. I had to giggle reading that. I think I'm going to add this one, though. I'm intrigued now."

Yeah, ..."

Rachel, if you want intimacy, sensuality AND hot sex scenes as well as excellent writing, then give Joey W. Hill a try. She is the erotica goddess.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Laura wrote: "Baba wrote: "Lol Gosh, Laura, you are too funny. Seriously, my though..."

*giggles* Love my horror! :)"

Keep your horror, Laura. *grin*

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Tori Benson wrote: "I love your review. It summed up nicely some of the problems I have with D/s relationships in books."

Thanks, Tori. That's why I'm back to my Femdom stories. Lol
It's kinda easier for me the other way round. *angelic smile*

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Kelly wrote: "Baba wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Great review, Baba! Think I'm going to have to pass on this one."

Thank you, Kelly! Just keep in mind that most of the readers loved it. It was good, just not a great re..."

You're welcome, sweets.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Heller wrote: "Interesting review, Baba. I always enjoy your take on books. I don't think this is something that I'd read, not because of the review, but more for my taste."

Interesting comment, H. *snicker* Oh well, I completely understand, no worries. :)
I saw that you are reading Rough Canvas, my all-time favorite m-m story. Oh my, you're in for a treat. Just one advice: savor every damn word of this book. Enjoy!

« previous 1