Loryn's Reviews > Starters

Starters by Lissa Price

Sep 10, 14

bookshelves: young-adult-ya, audio-book, dystopian, read-it-and-loved-it, if-you-liked-hunger-games
Read from August 01 to 08, 2012

9/10/14 update: 5 stars. Just reread this and I loved it! I'm so glad I read it again because there was so much that I missed the first time around. Great dystopian/sci-fi novel!

4.5 Stars for this one!

Get ready to be thrown in the future with this one where the only people alive are Starters and Enders. The Spore War has caused every young adult and middle-aged adult to die by means of a chemical warf and the Starters (also known as the unclaimed youth) live in constant hear of being picked up and thrown into an awful place that is basically a jail. The Enders, now genetically enhanced to live for 200 years, do not seem to have much compassion for the children living on the streets, and only care for their own grand and great-grand children.

For Callie, life on the streets with her younger brother is a horror each and every day. They never know what they will eat, where they will be, and how to avoid being picked up and taken away. Both Callie's mother and father died after the United States was attacked, leaving her to take care of her brother.

For Callie, taking risks to ensure their safety and livelihood is something she quickly learns she may need to consider. Prime Destinations could be her saving grace, a company that allows Enders to take over the body of Starters and feel young once again. The renter (a very old person) will live in the body of a Starter being able to do everything he or she can and basically living their life for as long as their rental is. For Callie, this seems to be one of the only ways to make money for her and her brother and possibly live comfortably for a little while. What she never expected was the awful truth and trouble that came with taking this job.

I really enjoyed listening to this story, but I do have to admit that I was a bit confused when I heard that Enders were living to be 200 years old! I thought to myself, "Did I miss something?" "How is Callie so young, but the old SO old?!" Besides this small issue that I had, I loved this dystopian thriller and I cannot wait to see what happens next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.

09/06/2014 marked as: currently-reading