Lorin's Reviews > The Pleasures of Men

The Pleasures of Men by Kate Williams

Aug 06, 12

Read from August 01 to 06, 2012

This was difficult. The first 100 odd pages were dull - it was a chore to continue. However the book was littered with snippets of amazing events (view spoiler).

I certainly didn't like Catherine. I found her quite pathetic, and she didn't ask questions I wanted her to, or acted the way I found most logical. Every now and then in the story she would do something or say something and I just wanted to shake her!

I wanted to find out more about other characters in the story too, which never happened. I felt many characters were just thrown in for the sake of it and their actions were only short lived and had no lasting impact on the story.

One thing I really enjoyed however was the historical note at the end. Williams explained the situation of what East London was like in 1840 and it certainly captured my attention.

Overall the book was a 2.5/5 due to the pace, the characters and the storyline not being more impressive. Would I read something else by Williams? Doubtful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pleasures of Men.

08/01/2012 page 98
08/03/2012 page 142
36.0% "Finding this difficult to read! Slow and not that interesting. Hopefully it picks up!"
08/05/2012 page 290
74.0% "Last sitting! Determind to get this finished in this sitting!"
show 1 hidden update…