Kelly's Reviews > I Loved You First

I Loved You First by Reena Jacobs

Aug 01, 2012

liked it
Read on August 01, 2012

I received my eBook copy of I Loved You first from the author as part of the blog tour to celebrate the first anniversary of it's release. I had never heard of it before but I was intrigued to read it because of the LGBT storyline, it's not something that I have come across before in any book I've read.

I enjoyed reading ILYF. I thought it was probably quite an accurate portrayal of how a gay young man, in this case Seth, would feel about being gay within a college environment and not knowing how he might be accepted. I didn't like Seth's character too much though. I thought he took advantage of Alex and her unwavering loyalty to him. He was kind of pushy and was used to getting his own way with Alex. He wasn't always very nice to her either and yet she'd always still be there for him. I can see though that he was under an enormous pressure to conform which may have shaped his personality and the way he was with Alex. Seth was in to sports and since he knew the prejudices of gay people in sport he felt he just had to keep quiet about his sexuality.

I liked Alex's character. She grew as a person over the course of the story. She started off as just Seth's sidekick, there to help him keep his secret, and she accepted that role due to how she felt about him. As things progressed, partly down to her friendship with Trinity, she came to realise there was more to her than that and she deserved better than that. She learnt that she had to start to love herself as that's the most important thing.

I thought ILYF was well written and had a good pace. I look forward to reading more of Reena's work in future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Loved You First.