Kelly Robinson's Reviews > Night Watch

Night Watch by Linda Fairstein

Aug 03, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

The Alexandra Cooper series by Linda Fairstein is one of my favorites and never fails to disappoint. While I greatly enjoyed the story, it did seem slightly off. The story begins with Alex in France visiting her celebrity-chef boyfriend Luc, owner of a Michelin starred restaurant in France. Luc is hoping to expand to the restaurant business in NY, where Alex works as a sex crime DA. We haven't gotten to know Luc much in previous stories, and when things on vacation start to go awry (bodies and bones begin piling up), the reader begins to wonder who can be trusted and even Alex begins questioning her boyfriend. Luc's many investors and partners, and a second murder back in NY that could be connected to Luc, only adds to the mistrust. Alex meanwhile rushes back to NY for a ripped from the headlines case. Since that case was really ripped from the headlines, and then ripped from the headlines and played on Law & Order, it felt stale in this story to me. If this story focused solely on the other plot surrounding Luc's restaurant, then I would have given the book 4 stores. Additionally, most of Fairstein's previous works were rife with history, and why we do get some interesting NY restaurant history, it was not as prevalent as her focus on the past. Still a good, thrilling read. I will definitely read the next Alex Cooper novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Watch.