Sapphyria 's Reviews > A Dangerous Liaison with Detective Lewis

A Dangerous Liaison with Detective Lewis by Jillian Stone

Aug 01, 2012

Read from October 10 to 12, 2012

Book 2 features Detective Lewis, a member of Scotland Yard that works side-by-side with Detective Zeno "Zak" Kennedy. Well, side-by-side until the mysterious death of some prominent businessmen take Det. Lewis right back into the life of Francine Greyville-Nugent (Fan or Fanny); the woman he deceived and abandoned on the night their engagement was to be announced.

The book begins in Fitzrovia, London, 1887. Scotland Yard had just combed the crime scene containing William Patterson's head and feet in the House of Commons Chamber. Patterson "made his fortune in banking & railway investments, and was a government member." His death was perplexing and made absolutely no sense at all....Until the next death occurred in Edinburgh, Scotland. This time it was Ambrose Greyville-Nugent, inventor and rich industrialist. Greyville-Nugent made his fortune in steam-powered farm & mining equipment. Someone is targeting proponents of machinery advancements.

Not knowing who, or what, has sparked the outrageous acts, Zeno Kennedy dispatches Det. Lewis to Scotland to investigate Greyville-Nugent's death and locate any clues that might tie both deaths together. This is, of course, not happy news for Detective Inspector Raphael Lewis (Rafe) and not just because there's a murder to investigate. The dead man's daughter, Fanny, and Rafe have a not so pleasant history and neither person is ready to confront the past. But, now that Fanny is inheriting her father's empire, Scotland Yard must protect the young heiress from whatever doom may await. But who is going to protect Rafe and Fanny from each other?

I must admit that it's been Jillian Stone's books that have really caused me to dive into Steampunk. I thoroughly enjoy her tales of mystery, intrigue, and love. The descriptions of the time period, including but not limited to the clothing and hairstyle choices, are well developed and perfectly drawn out in my mind. I move from page to page with ease, not getting confused lost as the novel weaves it's magic plot.

The interactions between Rafe and Fanny are heated; at times by anger and at other times by lust. They are truly made for one another and while Fanny wants to seek revenge on the man that stole her heart and then shattered it, Rafe wants nothing more than to prove his undying love for her. Their adventures together throughout the novel are humorous but include some downright dangerous moments that keep you on your toes.

It took a while to get to it in the To Be Read Pile due to my schedule but, once I started it, I couldn't put it down. Everything about the novel kept me intrigued from the first mysterious murder all the way to the end when we finally get to see the whos and whats of the mystery, including the direction Rafe and Fanny would go....separate ways or together??!!

*Book contains mild adult scenes*

ARC Book provided at no cost by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dangerous Liaison with Detective Lewis.

10/10/2012 page 170