Jane's Reviews > First Editions: A Guide to Identification

First Editions by Edward N. Zempel

Nov 19, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction, reference
Read in November, 2008

At best a reference book. Not really something to read cover to cover. It lists publishers in alphabetical order and extensive info about first editions and when they've changed, etc. etc. It's not what I'd expected when I saw the title; I thought it was going to be a more comprehensive scrutiny of the copyright page-- Though, I had to give it a standard rating because it's the only book I've seen that gave great effort to decipher the weird things publishers do. I did learn a little, but for the most part, it was just stuff I already knew. Still... I'd want a copy in my home library since it really is a good reference book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Editions.

Kevin This book is the HOLY GRAIL when dealing with 1st editions, you will not find a better book on the subject. If you knew most of the stuff offered in this book, kudos to you, but to be honest most collector's, dealers, and book scout's refer to this book on a daily basis.

I tend to carry the Pocket Guide with me when I scout, merely because the size is more convenient, but the pocket guide is not the reference this book proves to be.

If you picked this book up for anything other than reference, I truly admire you :-)... Anyone who could read a reference book for pure pleasure and truly enjoy it is one prolific reader.