Joanne's Reviews > The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Di... by Jonas Jonasson

Oct 16, 12

Read from August 01 to 05, 2012

This book proved me with some light entertainment after a couple of fairly intense books. It's the story of Allen, who climbs out of his bedroom window on his 100th birthday because he can't be bothered with it all. He finds himself in a bus station, where he is asked to mind a large suitcase while its owner uses the toilet. On the spur of the moment he decides that there might be a pair of shoes in the suitcase, which could be useful seeing as he has shuffled out in his slippers, so he takes it with him on a bus to... well, wherever his 50 crown note may take him!

And here begins the story of Allen on the run from the police and the criminal gang who own the suitcase and its contents. He meets a variety of strange and unusual characters in his adventures, who all become conspirators in the accidental deaths of various members of the chasing criminal gang along the way. And amongst all this, we learn of Allen's life history, who in his hundred years has been involved in some of the biggest political events of the twentieth century. Not bad for a man who hates politics!

It's a very intelligent comedy, completely crazy & very funny.

(Since I read and reviewed this book, I've found myself recommending it to so many people as it's really stayed with me, so I feel I should clarify rating it as a 4 - to be honest it's a solid 4.5 and only misses out as I got a teeny bit bogged down with some the political events, essential as they were to the story, as I just wanted to get back to Allen and his suitcase...)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared.