Gaele's Reviews > All's Fair in Love and War

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: jeep-diva, review-reads
Read in August, 2012

Read and Review for Jeep Diva by Gaele
I received a PDF copy of this book from the author for purpose of honest review. I have not been compensated in any way for my opinion, and all opinions are honestly given and my own responsibility and creation.

Stars: 4 - Good book - I would recommend
Flames: 3 -Moderate sex and language

Take a workplace encounter, two people who act before thinking, and a hilarious set of coincidences and you have this novel. The heroine, Shelby, is a fast thinking, fast talking romance novel fan who also happens to be a CPA. Colin is her ‘assigned superior’ on two assignments, struggles to maintain the balance between professionalism and strangling his less ‘stoic’ assistant. Shelby is more prone to dabble in flights of fancy, preferring to laugh and enjoy her time. Colin is far more a detail, point to point person, who misses the point in laughter if it distracts (his word) from the task at hand.

For anyone who finds themselves wanting a traditional, lighthearted and funny read- this book will fit that bill nicely. I also appreciated the incorporation of a story within a story, Shelby is often found “dreaming” the romances she has read to great effect: Colin was appearing as a highwayman, a client of a traditional matchmaker, a lord of the realm entering through a window: you get the point. It was a nice technique to add in levity to the personality of Shelby.

Even the characters that played a minor role in the story (dates and parents) were created with a degree of dimension and detail that is often missing in a character that will serve only as background.

The story does have a sweet and interesting twist at the end, which I appreciated just as I did the inclusion of so many differing and ‘standard’ romance themes. Combined with the witty and often slightly wry tone and good nature of all of the characters – it makes this book a worthwhile escape. This is a contemporary, very easy to enjoy romantic comedy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All's Fair in Love and War.