Jeremy's Reviews > The Game

The Game by Ken Dryden

M 50x66
Nov 19, 2008

Read in November, 2008

One of the best sports books I've ever read. I'm not just saying that because I've always been a huge hockey fan. Dryden has an excellent writing style. Yep, a sports book written without a ghost writer! Just check out this quote about fighting in Hockey: "The NHL theory on violence goes something like this: Hockey is by its nature a violent game. Played in an area confined by boards and unbreakable glass, by players carrying sticks travelling at speeds approaching thirty miles per hour, collisions occur, and because they occur, the rules specifically permit them, with only some exceptions. But whether legal or illegal, accidental or not, such collisions can cause violent feelings, and violent feelings with a stick in your hands are dangerous, potentially lethal feelings. It is crucial, therefore, that these feelings be vented quickly before anger and frustration explode into savage overreaction, channeled towards, if not desirable, at least more tolerable, directions. In essence, this is Freud's 'drive-discharge' theory of human aggression." Very nice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Game.