Laura's Reviews > The Ugly Duchess

The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in July, 2012

I read an ebook ARC of this title, and was very happy that I had an extra day off this week so that I could stay up late to finish it guilt free!

Theodora Saxby is the ward of the Duke of Ashbrook and has been raised alongside his son James Ryburn since the death of her father. Theo (Daisy to James) and James have been almost like siblings for the majority of their lives until James is forced to propose to Theo to obtain control of her dowry. Initially convinced of James' love for her, Theo is able to overlook her newly acquired nickname of "The Ugly Duchess", until she learns of his deception.

Stories that reveal the emotions that drive the actions of the main characters really appeal to me, and this was one of those stories. I also enjoyed the fact that both Theo and James realized on their own without a lot of agonizing fighting back and forth that they each handled the initial revelation of James' deception poorly. I would have liked to know a little bit more about how Sir Barry's (sorry if I misremembered his name - don't have my copy in front of me right now) reunion with his wife went!

Both Theo and James were really young and perhaps not quite ready for all the resonsibility they would have assumed together, but they both adapt to their separate situations (without spoiling too much) and become much stronger and more mature characters.

Definitely recommend this story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ugly Duchess.