Lara's Reviews > Wizard and Glass

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, speculative-fiction, horror
Recommended for: Staunch Stephen King fans, fans of meta and the absurd.
Read from July 30 to August 01, 2012

I love Stephen King. No matter how ridiculous his plots are - and sometimes I think he's a master troll, just trying to see what he can get away with; he strikes me as that type of dude - I keep reading.

That's because his writing style is so great. Only Stephen King could blatantly rip off The Wizard of Oz, including an entire play-by-play, line-by-line reproduction of the scene where they unveil the Wizard, all the while having his characters in the know comment on the fact ("HAHA GUYS THIS IS TOTALLY THE WIZARD SCENE FROM THE MOVIE!") and not cause me to put down the book and walk away.

The Dark Tower series is utterly ridiculous and kind of self-indulgent. The love subplots are sort of heavy-handed. It's more than a little unpolished, and I'm not sure if TV Tropes used these books as a checklist or if it was the other way around. But the writing is solid, and it's fun to watch him pull his entire body of work together using this universe. I hear in the next book he inserts himself as a character. And I look forward to reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard and Glass.