Audrey's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Aug 02, 07

bookshelves: ya
Read in July, 2007

Maybe it's because I taught high school for so many years, but I find myself relating so clearly to that age group. Fantastic novel -- really captures the whole heartache of getting dumped (although in Colin's case it's something he should be used to by now...) Green's characters are funny and moving and heartfelt and real -- such a distinctive voice. Lots of great stuff here -- proves that a good story really is in the details. Loved the math theory underlying the formula at the heart of the novel (and loved that I actually understood what was going on, especially in the appendix, as math is not my strong suit). Marked a couple of passages at the end -- something I don't often do. But these sum it all up:

"...maybe stories don't just make us matter to each other -- maybe they're also the only way to the infinite mattering he'd been after for so long."

"...Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward -- ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stores will last. And so we all matter -- maybe less than a lot, but always more than none."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.