Katja Weinert's Reviews > Katya's World

Katya's World by Jonathan L. Howard

Sep 24, 2012

Read from September 15 to 21, 2012

Thank you to Netgalley and Strange Chemistry for providing me with a review copy of Katya's World, this has in no way influenced my review of the book.
Katya's World starts with a little backstory as to how a water planet came to be the home of Katya's people and highlights how war shaped her society. Usually, I'm not keen on starting with backstory, but I think it worked here.

What caught my attention from the start:
The heroine's my namesake
I love water (see about me) and I love water planets even more, from Stargate Atlantis to Waterworld and Julie Bertegna's world in Exodus (& the planet in my WIP of 2010)
A strong military presence and discussions of planetary colonies.
A heroine who immediately struck me as smart, likable and capable.
Katya's World isn't exactly dystopian, because the world Katya lives in is one in which the FMA may be likened to a totalitarian state, but lacks an equal and opposing 'internal/local' force working against the FMA. When one of the other characters, Kane, talks about democracy Katya doesn't even know what he's talking about. The people in Katya's World accept the FMA as their final defence of Russalka.

So if it's not a dystopia (at this point) -despite the governance and a harsh environment - then what is it? It's a coming of age story. Katya is the youngest character in the novel, and sometimes shows that her youth isn't necessarily going to hold her back from being an asset in times of danger. Although Katya has few peers in the story, it's clear that in her world responsibility and adulthood start early.

The dialogue's quick and snappy with many witty one liners. If you're looking for a romance then this book isn't for you, but if you're looking for a strong character and an exciting adventure, then it is.

The plot's well structured and it's easy to keep track of the main story and sub-plots. The characters were interesting, and none more so than a 'pirate' named Kane. He's charismatic and slippery as an eel. It's difficult to know what his intentions are and just how much information he's withholding from everyone else.

It's easy to imagine this book being turned into a film - it has the right balance of fast paced action scenes, and slow, tense - at times even claustrophobic - scenes where tempers frayed, and where a few characters started to crack under the pressure.

The story could be considered a standalone, but the ending allows for it to turn into a series. The Goodreads listing suggests this is #1 in a series and I hope Jonathan L. Howard's been signed up for the full series because I'd happily read more about Katya.

Overall: Really enjoyed the plot, the world building and Katya and Kane's characters, It left me wanting more and that felt like both a good and a bad thing. On the surface Katya's World could be a standalone book, but it's easy to imagine this world featuring in a sci-fi TV series...with this book being the tantalising pilot episode.

Quotes (I've removed names where I think sharing would be a spoiler)

"Being an adult isn't a matter of age. It's a matter of responsibility."

"She felt oddly complimented. Petrov hadn't thought she's just a girl; he'd thought she might be a desperate criminal."

"All this bunch of so-called 'adults' was doing was making enemies of one another when what they really needed to be concentrating on was how to get out alive."

"Lesson one: expect to get screwed over for the convenience of others on a regular basis."

"Tasya, apparently a disciple of applied practical psychiatry, simply backhanded X hard."

"Well, we're all agreed then." ...."I agree too," said Katya. The three men had the grace to at least look embarrassed."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katya's World.

Quotes Katja Weinert Liked

Jonathan L. Howard
“Now you're an adult, Katya!" he'd said, picking her up under the armpits like he'd been doing since she'd been born.”

Jonathan L. Howard
“Being an adult isn't a matter of age. It's a matter of responsibility.”

Jonathan L. Howard
“She felt oddly complimented. Petrov hadn't thought she's just a girl; he'd thought she might be a desperate criminal.”

Jonathan L. Howard
“All this bunch of so-called 'adults' was doing was making enemies of one another when what they really needed to be concentrating on was how to get out alive.”

Jonathan L. Howard
“Lesson one: expect to get screwed over for the convenience of others on a regular basis.”

09/16/2012 page 90
26.0% "Enjoying it so far! First couple of pages I wasn't sure about the background info given, but it wasn't excessive and it feels necessary for setting the scene and helping the reader understand the context."