Jacob Lloyd's Reviews > A Little History of the World

A Little History of the World by E.H. Gombrich

M_50x66
Aug 23, 12

Read from August 01 to 23, 2012

A wonderful, humane overview of the history of the world, though largely focused on Europe. Egypt and Babylon are near the start, and there are brief forays into China to meet Confucius and Lao Tzu and learn of the construction of the great wall, and a chapter on the Buddha in India, and a little bit about Muhammad in Arabia; but on the whole, Europe is at the center of things. It should be noted, however, that Gombrich seems quite balanced overall on whomever or wherever he is writing of; he is a romantic at heart, I think, but he is not uncritical.

Gombrich tells the various stories of history with a gentleness and clarity appropriate for children, for whom the book was originally intended. The book on the whole gives the impression of humanity's journey through history as an adventure, with many bittersweet and poignant moments. I especially appreciated the last chapter, where Gombrich reviews his own time in history with a few personal remarks and mild revisions of his views since he first wrote the book.

The book makes a fine introduction for anyone wanting a survey of the history of the world. Though far from an expert in history, I came across no gross inaccuracies in the eras of history I feel I'm somewhat familiar with, and I believe that I will be recommending this book to many in the years to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little History of the World.

08/11/2012 page 156