Chrissy's Reviews > The Inn at Rose Harbor

The Inn at Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber

Aug 01, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads
Recommended for: Women of all ages
Read from August 11 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

A page turner that I simply could not put down! I received my copy in the mail on Friday evening, began reading it first thing on Saturday, and despite numerous weekend activities and a full day of work on Monday, I finished this novel before turning out the lights Monday night.

My first thought when turning the final page was disappointment in that I would have to wait for the next in the series to be released, a time that seems like forever as this book itself is released for public sale today (August 14th, 2012). Lucky for me, however, that Debbie Macomber is no newcomer to the fiction-writing scene, and having not read her in the past, there is bound to be scores of her past novels that will interest me.

Though I am difficult to impress or surprise when it comes to fictional stories of this nature, I found myself completely unaware of where Debbie was taking each of the main characters next in their journeys throughout the novel. Unlike many female authors who seem to make the thoughts and/or feelings of their male characters much too "girly," if you will, to seem realistic, Macomber did a superb job of crafting the main male character, Josh, into a man who I fully believed could be found in the world today, just as she wrote him. Likewise, the female characters in the story were not sickenly sweet, but rather very much like the kind ladies I am blessed to know personally myself.

No review could be complete, however, without complete honesty on the part of the reviewer. My one criticism was the almost abrupt end of the storyline for our character Josh. It seemed a bit rushed at the end, and the last few pages of his final chapter in the novel brought out a few somewhat predictable outcomes. That said, the book as a whole was wonderful, and I will excitedly look forward to news of the next release in this brand-new series.

Many, many, thanks go out to Random House Publishing Group for furnishing me with an advanced copy of this wonderful novel. To read and critique this piece was a privilege I took seriously and very gratefully, and I hope that my review helps other potential readers come to a satisfactory conclusion with their own “to read or not to read” questions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inn at Rose Harbor.

08/12/2012 page 178
08/13/2012 page 225
68.0% "Can hardly put this thing down! Read for another hour last night before I could turn out the lights and go to bed!!! LOVE it!"
show 1 hidden update…