Erin's Reviews > One True Thing

One True Thing by Anna Quindlen

Dec 19, 08

Read in January, 2002

I love Anna Quindlen. I love the way she uses her words, I love her essays and observations, and I'd love to take her to lunch and pick her brain about writing and just bask in her greatness. That said, because I love Quindlen's writing so much, I'm inclined to read anything she puts out -- no matter the topic. "One True Thing" is a book that I'm glad that I read, but it was incredibly hard to get through. It's the story of a young journalist called home to care for her mother as she struggles with cancer. Moreso, though, its a good snapshot of an adult daughter's relationship with her mother, and reminder of ahow surprising it is for some of us to realize that after all those year of raising us, our parents are actually just people. There are a lot of difficult issues tackled in this book, such as euthanasia, and I shed quite a few tears over the story. But I've also read it over at least three times. Don't forsake the book for the movie - like most good writers, Quindlen's characters deserve a look as she wrote them, not as actors have interpreted them for the screen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One True Thing.