☯Bettie☯'s Reviews > Broken Harbour

Broken Harbour by Tana French

Jun 25, 14

bookshelves: hardback, series, britain-ireland, mystery-thriller, paper-read, published-2012
Read from August 07 to 10, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbour.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" You got it! :-)

☯Bettie☯ Jeanette wrote: "You got it! :-)"

yes indeedy - and now the Spectator Bird has flown off (lovely read) I shall be cracking this one open within the next half hour or so.
:O)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" So you can "doss down" in your "gaff" and read all about those crazy lads in Dublintown. :-)

☯Bettie☯ Jeanette wrote: "So you can "doss down" in your "gaff" and read all about those crazy lads in Dublintown. :-)"

doss down in my gaff is a little dated for most however my internal dialogue runs along those lines all the time. That internal dialogue also includes bollocks, which leads me on to French's coinage/deceiving 'bollix'.

She may live in Ireland and done so for a score or more, her surname is probably not French but that lady's language is def building-site London, Prof Higgins!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Yeah, I thought that "bollix" was weird, but maybe it's the Irish spelling. You know those Irish have to be difficult. ;-) (I once had an Irish boyfriend, so I have firsthand knowledge of this.)

No trendy word ever REALLY goes out of fashion as long as there are loving people like you and me to keep it alive. I'm still using "groovy" on a regular basis. How's that for tenacity?

message 6: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Aug 08, 2012 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Bettie☯ Jeanette wrote: "Yeah, I thought that "bollix" was weird, but maybe it's the Irish spelling. You know those Irish have to be difficult. ;-) (I once had an Irish boyfriend, so I have firsthand knowledge of this.)

..."

Heavens to murgatroyd - a true heart babe!

well met,
Jeanette

Bollix is a word:

Dedfinition: bollix: to do (something) badly; bungle (often followed by up): His interference bollixed up the whole deal.

however she is using it in a different context. Whoever Tana French is, she is dissing the readers, having a laff at the readers' expense. Her fun, of course, and she is entitled to it.

All that doesn't detract from my enjoyment, however I would not like to meet the drab in person/have her sign my books as I don't think she could 'do' sincere if it bit her on the (Dina) arm.

message 7: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Aug 08, 2012 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Bettie☯ Jeanette do you still have your copy? the definitive answer to how she does use the euphemism bollix instead of bollocks comes on page 208.

It was cold enough to freeze his bollix (bungle) off? I don't think so; she means gonads but is trying to fly under the radar?

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" You're right, bollix is a word, but she uses it for balls rather than botch. :-)
I've returned it to the library, but you could be right. She might be dodging the censorship darts.

☯Bettie☯ balls rather than botch

You have a way with words. It is all getting very exciting now (circa p 270) and that which had seemed wrapped up tightly with a bow on top is unraveling fast.

Am hoping I shall get a chance to finish this off this afternoon.

message 10: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Aug 10, 2012 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Bettie☯ Thanks Cyndi, Jeanette, Mimal.
:O)

☯Bettie☯ Thanks Chris, Hayes. This is a story based on the urban myth of big dangerous animals roaming through the streets and getting into houses and it is rendered well enough to keep the reader on the back foot.

Although it went on for too long, that section on web help for the problem was eye-opening.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" We are in accord all the way on this one. You are so smart. I don't know why I didn't think of Harvey! That 'splains it all. Harvey just wanted to be friends. No need for Patrick to go 'round the bend.

☯Bettie☯

Thanks Melki, Wanda.

@ Jeanette - from p 28 where he was first mentioned, I expected more about said bro. Why mention him at all? Is it, I wonder, like Turkish hotel building where they leave steel rods sticking out of those flat roofs so they can come back and pop another storey on if and when the need arises.

Is bro to be another story(storey) later on?

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Ha, the Turkish hotels are built of Legos, he he.
Are you talking about Patrick's brother that was in the U.S.?

☯Bettie☯ Jeanette wrote: "Ha, the Turkish hotels are built of Legos, he he.
Are you talking about Patrick's brother that was in the U.S.?"

Yes, him who is mentioned twice but not built upon. Did I miss sommit? I dog-eared the page where he was fleetingly mentioned so I could go back to it because in my SHEERLUCK mode I thought...

"him there, THAT*S the perp"

How wrong shall I be?? haha

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" He was mentioned one more time just as fleetingly later in the book. I think he came back to Ireland after he was notified of Pat's death. She probably just used him as a red herring, and it worked. :>D

☯Bettie☯ it worked

it did! it did!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Now that is one scary lookin' dude. Dr. Seuss does Edgar Allen Poe.

message 19: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Aug 15, 2012 03:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Bettie☯ Man Teeth on a grinning Red Herring IS twisted indeed.

hahaha