Amy's Reviews > A Sliver of Shadow

A Sliver of Shadow by Allison Pang

Aug 01, 12

I'm really surprised some people didn't like this book as much as the first. I thought it was awesome! The pace is much faster for this story and the incubus storyline was not so prevalent in this book, which may have been a drawback for some people. I like a little romance with my urban fantasy but I thought the Ion storyline was a little silly and it plays out a lot better with him being the ex-lover who broke her heart. Talivar is a much more suitable fit for Abby. Someone mentioned him "using her" for her Keystone abilities but I didn't think that was the case. I thought Ion wanted to treat her like some distressed woman, while the elf prince recognized that Abby had "the heart of a warrior." He didn't mind throwing himself to the wolves because he was sure that Abby would come through and save him. Ion, on the other hand, makes it known multiple times that he resents having to always rush in to rescue her.

The faerie storyline was cool... It was fun to get a more intimate view of not only the crossroads but of the land of Faerie itself. The political split between the seelie and unseelie courts was interesting and was a good opportunity to show Abby's potential as a leader when she was able to recognize the Unseelie's value right away. The queen was a great villain and I look forward to seeing how she is in a more lucid state. The daemon-threat makes for a great cliff-hanger.

Pang was clearly setting up a spin-off book involving Melanie and the daemons which I would absolutely be on-board to read.

If you enjoyed the first book, I would definitely pick up the second.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sliver of Shadow.