Bea 's Reviews > Blaze of Winter

Blaze of Winter by Elisabeth Barrett

Dec 24, 12

bookshelves: arc, beas-book-nook, ebook, kindle-books, read-in-2012, romance, reviews
Read from November 23 to December 20, 2012

This is the second book by Barrett that I've read and I think it's safe to say her style just doesn't work for me. I struggled with this book, it took me weeks as I kept putting it down.

I thought the first in this series was meh but I liked what I saw of Theo in that book and decided to give this one a try. The other brother I liked was Val and he still intrigues me but I just don't see myself trying to wade through another book.

Theo is less overbearing and arrogant than his twin Sebastian was still obnoxious at times, though he was better able to admit when he screwed up. Avery was whiny, alternately selfish and compassionate, and oddly acted virginal at times, despite not being a virgin. I did like both Avery and Theo, they were flawed but relatable, even when they annoyed me.

The story is full of cliches and stereotypes and moves at an erratic pace. One of my least favorite scenes was the following:

But there was one small, er, large issue that she had to deal with first. His huge shaft extended out from a patch of dark hair. A flare of nervousness reared up and she tried to tamp it down.

There was a little lump in her throat as she swallowed hard. Licking her lips, she tried to speak.

"Ah, Theo," she said, her voice sounding hoarse.

"Mmm, hmm?" he questioned, stepping closer.

"I-" she said, closing her eyes. I don't think you're going to fit."

Why oh why do romance authors, not all but many, love this godawful trope of the hero having a huge peen and the heroine worrying it won't fit? Seriously? It adds nothing to the story and is unrealistic. It doesn't come up again, it serves no purpose, Avery is not a virgin despite her wimpy act here and it's annoying as hell. Sloppy sloppy writing. Barrett really lost me with this scene. I struggled through to the end but overall, the book just didn't work for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blaze of Winter.

15.0% "I like Theo more and more."
50.0% "Why oh why do so many romance authors love the godawful trope of hero having a huge peen and the heroine worrying it won't fit? Seriously? It adds nothing to the story and is unrealistic. Sloppy sloppy writing."
52.0% "I like Theo, I like Avery but I think Barrett's style just doesn't work for me."
62.0% "Still struggling to finish this book."
show 1 hidden update…