Liz De Coster's Reviews > Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion

Overdressed by Elizabeth L. Cline

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, hobbies
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2012

The first part of this book was an interesting, if light, look into the world "behind" fast fashion, though the author didn't go into a great deal of depth. Other chapters of the book focused on factors that have influenced the move towards fast fashion, including economic, social, and cultural changes, but again, with a light brush. Towards the end, Cline summarizes and discusses "solutions" and the future, and this is where the book sort of lost me. The majority of the book was interesting if not rigorous, and I suppose I was naively hoping for a wider range of solutions at the conclusion.
Cline latches on to the growing craft/fashion DIY possibility as a response to the prevailing trend of cheap, throwaway fashion. Unfortunately, I don't know if I buy into this argument. First, it assumes everybody has the means to buy a sewing machine and take a class, plus the leisure time to learn, not to mention space for the sewing machine, patterns, fabric and notions, and so forth. Additionally, it doesn't address the issue that many of these sewing machines and notions may very well be made in the same sweatshops as the fast fashion companies. It may well be that there is no good, ready-made solution to the fast fashion crisis, but I wasn't persuaded that the solution she proposes is feasible. Recommended with reservations for people very interested in the topic, or looking for easy non-fiction.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overdressed.

08/01/2012 page 100