James's Reviews > One Last Thing Before I Go

One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper

Aug 30, 12

Read from August 24 to 29, 2012

I have read all of Jonathan Tropper's books, starting back when he released "The Book of Joe." To me, he was good then and better now. I would rank "One Last Thing Before I Go" up with "This Is Where I Leave You," possibly just a tick below it.

One Last Thing sails right along, with the story unfolding in about a two-week span of Drew Silver's life (or Silver, as everyone, including his parents oddly enough, call him). He's basically a loser, though not in a malicious way. Just spun off the tracks at some point and let his family slip away from him. After eight years, he finally gets a wakeup call in the form of a serious issue with his aorta, bringing him back into close contact with everyone important in his life, including his ex-wife and daughter, as they all try to talk him into getting an operation that will save his life. He's reluctant, because until now, there was nothing there worth saving.

What I like about Tropper's stories is they move quickly, generally through a series of borderline crazy events, but never cross the line of slapstick stupid where you can't stand to look anymore, like "Meet the Parents," etc. His characters always seem to be right about my age (Silver's a year older than me), so all of his pop references are right in my zone. But he also seems to really understand people, particularly the way they think and act.

There is never any shortage of family angst in a Tropper book, and this one's no different that way. What is different is he's finally branched away from featuring a writer as his main character. Silver is a musician, which one could argue is at least close, in a creative vein kind of way. I'm still waiting for that first Tropper book about a garbage man or cable guy, but maybe next time.

Bottom line, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. As I have with some of his others, I pre-ordered it, knowing I would probably like it. I only wish I had time now to go back and read a few of his older ones.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Last Thing Before I Go.

08/25/2012 page 56
08/29/2012 page 274
82.0% "Really enjoying this one so far. I've read all of Tropper's novels so far and this is as good as any of them."
show 2 hidden updates…