Grace's Reviews > The Communist Manifesto

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: politics-and-theory
Read in August, 2012

I revisited this today in preparation for a class, and I will begin by stating that I did make a serious attempt to approach it with an open mind. That being said, Marx & Engel's argument wasn't any more convincing this time around than it was the first time I read the manifesto. Granted, some of their observations are rather insightful and true of their time. But in terms of arguing a solid case for Communism and the 'violent overthrowing' of the 'oppressive class', I'm afraid The Communist Manifesto does a fairly poor job.

My biggest critique of the text is that it essentially fails to discuss how the ruling age of the proletariat is to be sustained post-revolution, and how it is to be reconciled with the Communists' aims to centralise the means of production and communication with the State apparatus. I could go on but lets face it, we've all heard this before. Its really no secret that The Communist Manifesto is not impressive in the least. But it is thought provoking, and certainly short enough to get through in an afternoon, so there is no reason why you shouldn't pick up a copy and at least leisurely flick through the pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Communist Manifesto.