Jonathan's Reviews > Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Lamb by Christopher Moore

Apr 22, 2012

did not like it
Read in November, 2008 , read count: one too many

A book recommendation that I suffered through... not for charges of blasphemy, but for style. I can't stand this type of comedic writing with its obvious set-ups and zingers and formulaic irreverence. Douglas Adams wanna-be. This type of humor gets enough time between news items on NPR's "All Things Considered." Bah!
Witness the last lines (paraphrased here):

"The 'H' in Jesus H. Christ stands for Hallowed . . . you know, 'Hallowed be thy name'?"

"Oh! I thought it stood for Harvey."

He saved that gem for the end of the book.
40 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lamb.

05/31 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I gave myself an eyeball strain from rolling them so hard when I read that line. So cringe worthy!

message 6: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J Berger Why read a book that you don't like? You get a solid idea of his writing from the first couple of pages. Put the book down and stop bitching.

Jonathan Mee-yow!
Why? Because I take my friends' recommendations seriously, and don't want to be accused of "not giving the book a chance" just because it's not serious literature.

Ponch I couldn't possibly agree with your review more. It's VERY poor comedic writing, in my opinion. I really tried to like it, but I don't think I laughed out loud even once.

Vanessa Ugh. Agree! I was about to gouge my eyes out based solely on the number of parentheses this guy used. Poor form!

Jonathan So many books I LOVE, yet this book review gets the most attention. I wrote the above review after a few glasses of wine, without much consideration. In fact, I looked at my review months later and was embarrassed to discover that it was poorly written. I edited immediately.

Like my review? Great. I'm forever associated with a book I hated.

marie Totally in agreement with your review.