Ashley Williams's Reviews > Defy the Stars

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: contemporary
Read in July, 2012

“For never was a story of more woe..” Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

This was a gripping modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet. It was written in verse style and was an easy read. I liked the fact that the Stephanie inserted snips of Romeo and Juliet in the beginning of some chapters. Thus, you knew how it related to the original story.. or didn't.

The story follows Julia, a senior in high school and an accomplished pianist; and Reed, a stoner kid from the wrong side of the tracks. As with the original story, their paths cross, but their path’s don’t necessarily mix. Julia’s mother is the head of anti-drug organization and Reed’s brother is the head of a major drug operation. With the odds not in their favor, the two fell in love despite knowing they shouldn’t be together. Reed and Julia make plans to be together, when a tragedy strikes.

I really wanted to love this story, because I loved the original Romeo and Juliet. But the affection for Reed wasn’t there for me. I just didn’t feel that undying love between Julia and Reed. Unfortunately the scene where Julia tries drugs is also lacking for me.

The ending was by far my favorite part of the book. I would rate the last 30% of the book, 5 stars. Even though you think you know what’s coming at the end, you don’t! All in all, if you want a short, easy read and a few tears at the end, this would be a good book to read.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defy the Stars.