Jessie Marie (Jessie Marie Reads)'s Reviews > The Murmurings

Mar 14, 13

bookshelves: dac-2013, reviewed
Read from March 10 to 11, 2013

Find this review and more at The Daily Bookmark

The synopsis. The cover. The title. Everything about The Murmurings drew me in like a fly to a bright light. The darkness is overwhelming and I was very intrigued. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to expectations and the book suffered from a level of mediocrity that was both frustrating and disappointing.

Firstly, I'm most bothered by the synopsis provided because I don't think it gives an accurate idea of what the book is about. That synopsis covers the first 100 pages or so and then the story takes an unexpected deviance. I realize that the synopsis is not meant to be a complete outline of creative paraphrasing, but it still irks me that The Murmurings is a case of false advertising.

The Murmurings is not a perfect read, but it's not terrible either. I was kept up into the early hours of the morning (I haven't seen 4AM since my days in undergrad). Partly because there were some moments that terrified me and I needed a happy resolution to make the stuff of nightmares dissipate. And partly because I needed to know what was going on. But for the most part, I was left with a bitter meh feeling on my tongue and in my heart.

My issue with The Murmurings is that all 380+ pages are just on the brink of genius. I mean, this book could have been spectacular, and it definitely has moments where it seemed to tap into what it should have been. But there is so much lackluster and uninteresting and underdevelopment that the potential soars high above the finished product. There is little to no evolvement or development within the characters, particularly Sophie, as they make the same mistakes repeatedly and never seem to learn from anything. The scenes with Dr. Keller should have been scintillatingly creepy but I never got that spine-tingling feeling. The murmurings and visions had the terror feeling I so badly desired, but it happened perhaps four or five times the entire book. Also, there was a romantic aspect that was so cheesy and insta-lovey that I wish it was left out completely. This "romance" definitely took away from what The Murmurings should have been, and that was further complicated by subpar character development.

I will say this: if you're going to read The Murmurings, do so when it's dark outside, a thunderstorm is looming and you're all alone. That was the environment while I read it and was jumpy every time something moved or made a sound (I live in a wooded area, in an old house where stuff creaks and whines all the time). It definitely helped the creepier scenes along.

All around, The Murmurings seems to suffer from a case of shoulda-coulda-woulda and that's disappointing to say the least. I was even disappointed in the ending that proved to be the equivalent of watching Saturday morning cartoons.

As always, with these mediocre reviews, I encourage you to read this one for yourself and form your own opinions.

2.5/5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murmurings.