Marsha Stokes's Reviews > Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint by Matthew Woodring Stover

May 09, 2012

it was ok
Read in July, 2008

This book comes in between Episode II and III. As you can tell from the cover, if you watch Star Wars, this novel is all about Jedi Master Mace Windu. While I have read some really good Star Wars novels and some really bad ones, this one falls in the middle... maybe slightly more on the positive end. For me, the biggest shock was how dark the novel seemed to be. Star Wars novels tend to be rather light, and there is no sex or language to worry about. The heavy feel of this book was a little uncharacteristic of the genre. It was all about Mace going back to his home world to find out what happened to another Jedi that was sent there before him. The dark and wild forces of the jungle of his home planet really pull at him, and there is a civil war happening with the locals the entire time. There is a lot of internal struggle and fighting going on. The lost Jedi is also struggling to overcome the dark forces of this world, and appears to be loosing her battle.

The story line and plot kept me turning pages, and I went through the book fairly quickly. I would say that I enjoyed the book, but Mace is not my favorite Jedi character. I missed the wit and humor of Obi Wan, or the familiarity of some of the other more well known characters. But all in all, this is a Star Wars novel that I would be more inclined to pick up and read again, where there have been a few that will simply collect dust on my shelf. If you like Star Wars, pick it up... if your expectations are not too high, you will probably be entertained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatterpoint.