Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)'s Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: on-my-ereader, read-in-2012, review-books-completed, arcs
Read from August 02 to 04, 2012

Why I Read This Book
I was starting to feel out of the loop with this book and eventually had to give in and request it on NetGalley. Everyone seemed to be gushing about it and I was seeing the cover everywhere. The story sounded fantastic, and that cover? HOT and AWESOME.

My Thoughts
When I started reading Pushing the Limits, I had no idea what to expect. The only thing I knew was that there was a romance between Echo and Noah and that there as plenty of kissing. But just when I was about to ask (a la The Princess Bride), “Is this a kissing book?” I was thrown into a world of such seriousness and sadness that I realized this book had so much more than just kissing.

I fell in love with Echo immediately — and with Noah. There’s nothing flakey or silly about them. They have their faces that they put on in public: For Echo, it’s the face of a girl who has to deal with rumours spreading around the school that she tried to commit suicide. She’s embarrassed about her scars, but no one knows that the event they’re so quick to name is one that didn’t happen at all — it was a trauma that Echo went through and is now suffering from PTSD over it, and still can’t remember what happened that night.

For Noah, it’s the face of a boy who prefers to get high and find his latest one-night stand. The one thing that Noah and Echo need in their lives is each other — this is a story about how these two people come together and they just click. They’re the person they both need to get through the hardships of their lives — the person they each need to understand what’s going on, to figure out the secrets and the reality. While I normally don’t go for insta-love in a novel, I felt like this was different — there was an immediate attraction between both of the characters, but it was something that morphed from an instant attraction to a necessity.

There was so much depth to the story that the more I found out about Echo and Noah, the more I loved about them. Their situations were real and scary — real and sad. Their love was also so real — including the fact that Echo seemed to think that after such an event in her life — the event she couldn’t remember — she should try to go back to her old ways, including her old boyfriend. I loved Echo’s friends and how their responses to the “event” were typical, and how Echo realized that going back to her old ways just wasn’t something that could happen.

Full of love, regrets, and secrets, this was a novel that was written so perfectly that I wanted to savour it and make it last as long as I could. I couldn’t get enough of Noah and Echo, and was happy to see that their family was involved in the book and there was an actual adult presence helping to guide them in their journey. The pacing was absolutely perfect and I loved how the chapters alternated between Echo and Noah’s point of view. I also loved that it wasn’t a novel about just one romantic relationship, but about so many relationships — none of them were easy, but all of them were so real.

Who Should Read This Book
If you enjoy YA contemporary books that include plenty of romance and lean a little more towards the serious rather than the fluff, this is a book to read. I highly recommend it!

Read more reviews on my blog, Reading In Winter:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

08/02/2012 page 76