Jan's Reviews > Wait Till Helen Comes: A Ghost Story

Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn

4 1/2 stars. Molly and her brother, Michael, are not thrilled to be leaving Baltimore to live out in the country in a renovated church. Molly really is not excited to be sharing a bedroom with her stepsister, Heather. Heather is a sullen child who resents her new step-brother and sister and especially her new step-mother. When Molly finds out their new home includes an old cemetery, she is less than thrilled, but Heather seems to be drawn there. Molly soon discovers that Heather has a friend in the cemetery and she does not think it is the imaginary kind. Molly is convinced that this friend, Helen, is a ghost. After doing a bit of research, she is also convinced that Helen plans to kill Heather and she is determined to stop the ghost, no matter what.

This is a good ghost story. It is just scary enough. And there is an excellent story about blended families and their issues as well as a lesson about the power of forgiveness. I am glad that I finally read this kid's ghost story. I will certainly be recommending it in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wait Till Helen Comes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cara I read this when I was in third grade and it scared me to death. I decided to re-read it as an adult and it was still pretty scary.

message 2: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Yes, It was still scary reading it as an adult. Or maybe I should say suspenseful. I wanted to see what would happen next.