lia's Reviews > What I Did For a Duke

What I Did For a Duke by Julie Anne Long

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in July, 2012

I do love this book. This book take us slowly in a journey how two people fall in love. From the first time they met, talk and discover deeper feelings for each other, everything is done simply without any angst, misunderstanding or murderer/kidnapper or exotic location that are usually found in romance plot.

Alexander Moncrieffe is 40 years old Duke who decided to take a wife. So he betrothed himself to a beautiful lady. Unfortunately the said lady want to have one last fling before marriage with Ian Eversea. They were caught red handed, while the Lady is force to leave England, the Duke have something else in mind for Ian.

For Moncrieffe a punishment should befitting a crime. So he set himself to seduced Genevieve Eversea, sister to Ian, so he understand how it feels like to be cuckold.

What he found instead is a lady experiencing a devastating heartbreak from first love. He found her intelligent, mysterious and intriguing.

Genevieve was devastated when her first love said that he want to propose to their best friend. At the time she met Moncrieffe, she founds him too old for her. But the age gap allows Moncrieffe to understand her like nobody does.

They both starts to open up, and found that they are greatly attracted to each other.

I like the fact that Genevieve is able to read Moncrieffe's intent for revenge from the beginning and how he throw that plan away for good once he got to know her. So readers don't have to suffer another scene of the 'big' secret unravelled and the grovelling scene.

I also like that both characters are quiet and thoughtful. None of them are the life of the party. They both keep their secret, and their feelings within themselves and only share it with each other. Genevieve is a totally different woman when she was with Moncrieffe and Moncrieffe is lighter when he was with her.

This is what a romance book should be, just a simple story of how two people fall in love.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Did For a Duke.