Russell's Reviews > Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

Jul 31, 2007

it was ok
Recommended for: people who like to smell their own farts.
Read in July, 2007

The book feels choppy, the chapters are written like one might write for Spin Magazine. It does not seem like a writer for Spin would want his book to read like his magazine, but I guess when you're stuck in a rut. I liked some of the development of his ideas. Klosterman uses the F-word on about every 3rd page, and when he does he uses it like a 7th grader with Tourette's syndrome. His analysis hinges on B-sides of musical artists and like most rock critics he chooses to annotate his work, not with real resources, just his additional rantings on specific topics, which otherwise act as tangents. I read all of them. If you read this book, you don't have to. Billy Joel's hits are really good - Klosterman prefers the B-sides.

If not for the incessant use of curse words to share his tone, I would have thought about 3 stars, but like he says in one of his footnotes - "this essay... tends to be philosophy for shallow people". I must admit I did laugh out loud several times while reading this book. At times in the first chapters the music came alive, especially when he talks about GNR and Billy Joel, but this fact may reflect more on me than on the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.