David Sarkies's Reviews > Demon Lord of Karanda

Jul 31, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to David by: My auntie
Recommended for: Those who enjoy the series
read count: 1

The series is beginning to slow down here
31 July 2012

In a way it seems that certain series get to a point where they simply have ground to a halt and cannot continue. From what I gathered from reading the reviews of this book it seems that Eddings have reached that point with this book. One of the comments involves them spending something like 200 odd pages simply talking about religion and philosophy and the rest of the book has them fighting, and defeating, a horde of demons. It is funny that the blurb of books like this always talk about a race against time, and that if they don't actually manage to get there, the other guy wins. Guess what, this is a modern fantasy novel so the other guy never actually wins.
This is what I like the most about the Scottish Play (for those who are not familiar with Shakespearian phraseology, that is Macbeth), a play that has slowly grown on me over the years. Most action adventure stories are told from the point of view of the hero and his (or her) companions and as such we get to become a part of their lives, experience their joys and sorrows, as well as share in their victories. However, it is always the same, they come up against innumerable odds and somehow, fortuitously, manage to succeed. Not so with Macbeth because, while not the villain in the Shakespearian sense, he is still an antagonist, but it is Macbeth that we spend most of the time with, the person who we share the story with, but Macbeth dies in the end.
Seriously, even in books like Grunts, which is supposed to tell a fantasy story from the point of view of the orcs, or movies like Megamind, where the main character begins as the villain and ends up as the hero, the characters that we spend the most time with end up becoming the hero because, in a way, we just cannot accept becoming attached to a character only to have this character systematically killed off (as happens in the Song of Fire and Ice, and even then it appears that only a handful of major characters suffer that fate, though it does add a lot of uncertainty to the story).
So while I would like to be able to say more about this particular book, I feel as if I am getting to the point where I am scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Mind you, I did manage to get through all ten books in this series, which I did not manage to do with the Hubbard series or the Wheel of Time (though I am still wondering whether I will be able to actually write something on the seven Wheel of Time books that I have read).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Lord of Karanda.