Wendy Darling's Reviews > Pivot Point

Pivot Point by Kasie West

3.5 stars Enjoyed reading this, and there are numerous things I thought were very well done.

-- a Sliding Doors type story, which is uncommon in YA.
-- Interesting paranormal abilities
-- some genuinely cute romantic moments
-- a story that moves quickly and keeps the reader's interest
-- a solid ending that commits to the path it takes.

A few things that could have been explored in more depth:

-- the powers are fairly straightforward, and your usual X-Men/paranormal types
-- all the characters would have benefited from more layered relationships and back story
-- I didn't really ever care for one romantic interest, and felt fine but somewhat indifferent to the other
-- a little more could have been done to separate the two possible futures for clarity

But most of all, for some reason I just never felt the stakes ever felt that high, so I remained somewhat detached from the story. Sure, there is a subplot involving loved ones being in danger (and yes, a choice that is agonizing in theory); but so much of the book deals with the
romances and uninteresting things like FOOTBALL that I just wasn't as crazy about this as I know some of my friends have been. Oh, and the ending is such a maturely promising but non-obvious one that I was somewhat disappointed to find there is a sequel planned.

All in all, it was an entertaining read for me, but ultimately not one of my favorites.
55 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pivot Point.

message 1: by Lexxie (new) - added it

Lexxie I just have to say that as always, I love your review!

You are always so clear when you explain what you like and what you don't like, and I think I will add this book to my TBR - I do like football (and other sports) in my books :D

Wendy Darling Oh, thanks Lexxie! I am going to try to be better about jotting some notes down for some books even if I can't write a longer review for it.

If you're interested in another POV, by the way, you should check out my friend Blythe's glowing review for the book. I think it's the top one right now, I'll find the link tomorrow!

message 3: by Lexxie (new) - added it

Lexxie Thanks Wendy, I'll look for it :) I am often really bad at making notes when I read - then, when I (finally) review, I have to re-read big chunks.

When I get a kindle version, all is good - thank goodness for highlights!

Blythe Well, I'm glad you ended up liking this, Wendy! I never really liked Duke (view spoiler), but I really, really liked Trevor.

And woo! - thanks for the shout-out, Wendy! :)

message 5: by Lexxie (new) - added it

Lexxie Blythe wrote: "Well, I'm glad you ended up liking this, Wendy! I never really liked Duke [spoilers removed], but I really, really liked Trevor.

And woo! - thanks for the shout-out, Wendy! :)"

Your review was great, Blythe - I'm following your reviews now btw, it's always nice to read reviews by people who like the same kinds of books as I do - even if we won't always agree on specific books.

message 6: by Elena (last edited Jan 06, 2013 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elena I agree that the major issue with this book was stakes. I really enjoyed the loved ones in danger subplot, but, well, it was a subplot with the romances as the main plot. So yeah, I was pretty bored up until the climax (which I actually really, really loved).

I didn't know there was a sequel planned. Hrm. Not sure how I feel about that.

Blythe Lexxie wrote: "Blythe wrote: "Well, I'm glad you ended up liking this, Wendy! I never really liked Duke [spoilers removed], but I really, really liked Trevor.

And woo! - thanks for the shout-out, Wendy! :)"

Thank you, and thank you again for following my reviews! :) I definitely agree.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I requested this ARC. I am curious after reading your review.

message 9: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo I absolutely loved Sliding Doors. Now that you say that I am even more intrigued by this book!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Wendy its interesting you say "sliding doors effect is rare" - I'm seeing so many of them pop up on Publisher's Marketplace being bought by a lot of editors ...

message 11: by Caroline (last edited Jan 06, 2013 12:53PM) (new)

Caroline You said "football," and my decision was made. Good, because my tbr is long enough.

Katie_la_geek I am reading this one right now and I have to agree with a lot of what you have said. It is all a little to romantic and cutsey. It is good but I am finding that I am just not invested in it.

Kevin Our thoughts were pretty much identical on this one Wendy. The stakes not being high enough and the focus on those pesky relationships really took me out of this one. I kind of wish there wasn't a sequel too, based on where it left off.

Wendy Darling No problem, Blythe! I thought your review was great. As for the part in your spoiler, I agree that's probably the case. (view spoiler)

Elena--yeah, too much focus on the romance for my taste. That's fine if you like the romance, but I felt pretty indifferent to it. I wasn't all that into the one real dangerous thing either, hah. And yeah, I would have liked this better if the story was just meant to conclude there. Where else is there to go to maintain conflict?

Lyn, I'm curious what you'd think of it! It'll be interesting to see the reviews rolling in.

Jo, Rachel--I liked the idea of the book. It's interesting to hear there are more of these types of stories coming up soon, I haven't seen too much of it in YA yet. Next big trend?

Caroline--yeah, sometimes I don't mind it (Dairy Queen was terrific, for example), but I have to really like what's going on in the rest of the book. It may have felt too high school for this jaded adult reader. ;)

Kate--ah, you're struggling, too. You're right, some of it did feel sort of cutesy, which made it hard to take the more serious matters...seriously. Are you going to finish and review it?

Kevin, I wish there weren't a sequel too. I don't know where the story would go, and my fear would be the conflicts would just feel contrived.

Katie_la_geek Yeh, I finished it this morning so I will be reviewing it at some point. There is nothing wrong with it but I was underwhelmed.

Wendy Darling That pretty much sums it up. I'm not here as much as I used to be, but I'll keep an eye out for your review!

message 17: by Roos (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roos I thought the possible futures were nicely separated by the word 'norm' or 'para' at the beginning of each chapter, and the words had something to do with that particular chapter, really clever (: