Lissibith's Reviews > Shakespeare's Trollop

F_50x66
Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: detective, novel
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2012

I'm... not really sure how to feel about this. The book is entertaining, definitely, and I'll probably be picking up more by her. But on the other hand, it was so chock full of slut shaming that it was very awkward to read, especially when our heroine says in one of the first pages that she's the last person to victim blame.

But she does. EVERY character in here does. She slept with a lot of men. She had her rules, but she wasn't extremely picky, and it's always spoken of in terms of some deep character flaw instead of just what a woman decides to do with her time and body. I don't know, maybe it's better explained in one of the earlier books?

That aside, the story is quick and, for a murder mystery, light, with some subplots that work okay on their own but no doubt make much more sense when hung on three previous books of backstory. Lily, the heroine, is equal parts jaded and inquisitive, and while she's far from my favorite protagonist in this sort of story because of her abrasiveness, I think she does a good job framing small-town politics in a no-nonsense manner, which I quite liked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shakespeare's Trollop.

07/31/2012 page 101
49.0% "This was not a good place to start with this author I suspect."
08/01/2012 page 146
70.0% "The story seems to be meandering a little bit"
show 1 hidden update…