Ramie's Reviews > The Dirty Streets of Heaven

The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: publisher-provided-for-review, fantasy
Read from July 31 to August 30, 2012

Part old timey crime story feel, part fantasy. Bobby Dollar is an angel, working as an advocate here on earth. Advocate being just what it sounds like - a lawyer type. You die and he's there waiting to fight for your soul in a hearing. Fighting who? The other side of course. Yeah... that other side. Luckily there's not much that is bad enough to send you to the dark side, so his job is pretty easy. Easy until weird things start happening, like an unprepared angel being sent down to work with the advocates. Souls disappearing that should not. Deaths that should not happen. There's Bobby stuck in the middle of it all, having to figure out why. Oh, and he's got girl troubles to deal with too.

Unlike many others, I did not know this author before now, so I didn't know what to expect. I was both pleased and disappointed. The problem is that by page 100 or so, I honestly still did not yet care about Bobby at all. That is a serious problem. It made reading this book, getting into it, difficult. Then again, I did like the concept. I liked the judgment scenes. I like books such as this one that blend "good" and "evil" and show that sometimes the good guys are not ALL good and the bad guys not ALL bad, that they can interact with one other, be real people (or in this case angels and demons living as people). I liked that these beings were not all knowing super duper beings (ex. Bobbly comes home to find someone has been looking for him - yay the bad guys didn't just use some paranormal GPS to find him and instead had to go leave their calling card at his home, likewise Bobby had to work out on his own just what in the heck was going on, including by seeking out some unsavory folks and getting a little too mixed up with them).

While I wasn't madly in love with this, I also didn't hate it. I wouldn't go out of my way to read further books in the series, but I might consider reading them if I stumbled upon them when I was in the right mood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dirty Streets of Heaven.

08/19/2012 page 45