Beanbag Love's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Aug 07, 12

Read from July 31 to August 07, 2012

I enjoy Andrea and Rafael's relationship, particularly when they're working together as fighters. They're in perfect tune. My one beef about this aspect is that Andrea reads exactly like Kate. At one point, when I had had to put the book down to do something else for a while, I got confused and thought I'd opened up a Kate Daniels book.

I'm not sure how to fix that, though. One of the reasons Andrea and Kate are best friends is that they're cut from the same cloth. They spend a lot of time together so all the little asides are likely to be the same -- for example: "why me?" Their voices are just very, very similar. Since I like Kate a lot, that's not the worst thing in the world, but it was noticeable -- to me.

The adventure part of the story was effective. I liked the way it was resolved but, ultimately, I thought that resolution might have brought about a more extended freak-out on the part of the resolver (not giving any spoilers here). It was very similar to the ending of one of Rob Thurman's books -- not a bad thing -- but Thurman did go through the emotional aftermath that those kinds of choices bring about. I just would have liked to see that.

This is a very funny book, even amongst all the serious issues that get talked about. Andrea and Rafael are just as funny as Kate and Curran. And speaking of the Beast Lord and the Consort, I loved seeing them from Andrea's perspective. The two of them don't hide nearly as much as they seem to think they do when we read their POVs.

Bogs down a tiny bit in the middle and the end feels rushed. Could have used another chapter of aftermath, maybe. But all-in-all a very good read and an excellent addition to the Kate Daniels series.

PS: Magic Gifts -- a Kate Daniels short story -- is included and it might help to read that first, although I don't think it's completely necessary for enjoying Gunmetal Magic. Still, it's a great story, so you may as well. ;D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Great Review Bean!
Hm, don't know how I would feel reading that both Andrea and Kate being so alike.

Beanbag Love It's odd, Rane, but it's still a really good book.