Kay's Reviews > Nightwoods

Nightwoods by Charles Frazier

1200568
Aug 01, 12

Read from July 31 to August 01, 2012

I loved this book! The words, fresh, startling, concrete, kept me hungry to keep reading; lovely sentences, rhythms--I just want to hug the whole language of it really tight. I want to page through and read words and sentences and descriptions again and again--the language never stopped being luscious. The slow, quiet Southern mountain tone of the whole prose was in sharp contrast to the mean, horrid, scary, nasty plot, and this contrast worked beautifully. Never a gasp or a cheap thrill. The pace that results from this muted tone and the unrelenting awfulness of the story works perfectly, just read it as they lived it. There is not much insight-digging or psychoanalyzing, but the telling of a chilling story that is banal these days but that is hard to forget for the way it is told, in the midst of great beauty and love. I am so glad my book group picked this--I was not going to read it because my impression was that it would be a slog. It was the opposite; I read it in a day and a half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightwoods.