Hilary's Reviews > Realistically Yours

1702050
Aug 14, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, humor, chick-lit, first-reads, 2012
Read on August 14, 2012 — I own a copy

I won this book through the first reads program.

This book was delightful, and surprisingly, not the typical chick-lit sort of book. The protagonist, Christine, is trying to move on from a rather difficult break-up that she suffered earlier in her life. We learn about this event in small chunks, as she looks back over the years. Trouble with her family compounds her troubled past.

Jessica Lavé writes with a keen eye for humor and cynicism. Her writing is both easy to read, and incredibly entertaining. The book moved in a very different direction than I expected, but at the same time - she took it in a far more realistic direction. This would be a more grown-up sort of chick-lit, though don't take that to mean the book is full of raunch. It isn't. This is far more about becoming the mature person you never quite expect yourself to be, all the while, retaining what makes you you.

Excellent book. I'm looking forward to reading more of Jessica Lavé in the near future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Realistically Yours.

08/14/2012 page 51