Sarah Briggs's Reviews > Sow and You Shall Reap

Sow and You Shall Reap by B.P. Smythe

Aug 01, 12

liked it
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2012

So, when I first started reading this book, I kind of had a false start. I began reading something else and forgot that I intended to read this for a while (sorry about that).

I did find this book a little difficult to get into, partly because so many of the characters had very few redeeming qualities. I developed a strong dislike for Norman and Elizabeth (the matron) and unfortunately, even finding out what happened in their past couldn't make me think anything other than, 'That's awful... but I still really dislike them'. I think it might have worked better to have the stories of their past at the beginning, which might have made them come across as a little more sympathetic. I don't often read books with no good characters in.

Having said that, I did find the book extremely well-written. It held my interest enough that, on the second attempt at reading it, I got through it fairly quickly. It especially began picking up about halfway through, with Lynn and Margaret. I liked them both as characters and their banter was enjoyable to read.

One thing that did lower the amount of stars I gave this book was how things were wrapped up. In books, films, tv series, etc. I like neat endings where everything makes sense and is explained. Most of it was explained, but the ending was more than a little confusing and I'm not sure if the impression I got from it was correct or not.

Still, I definitely wouldn't say I wasted my time with this book and I'm very glad that I gave it a chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sow and You Shall Reap.