Tom Angelo's Reviews > The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks

The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey

Jul 31, 2012

Read in July, 2012

This is one of many books that I read almost every year. Susan Casey saw a television show about 2 biologists studying great white sharks at the Farallon Islands near San Fransisco, and was so fascinated she determined she would visit (which was difficult, considering that the islands are off-limits to the general public - besides which, they're not very accessible, possibly haunted, and surrounded by near-freezing, treacherous seas). Her obsession with great white sharks eventually led her to take incredible risks, including living on a boat in conditions straight out of "Deadliest Catch." Casey depicts the biologists who lived and worked at the Farallons with great affection and respect, and I came away from this book, not just awed by their courage in studying white sharks, but filled with admiration for men and women who were willing to deal with really harsh living conditions to feed their passion. The book is as much about the islands themselves as about sharks, and the Farallons are defintely worthy of a book: remote, wild and forbidding. But it's the sharks, and the story of the folks who study (and in some cases, swim with) them, that are the real draw. As a shark-o-phile myself, I've read many books on these creatures, but this is one of the most compelling and (re)-readable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Teeth.