Kara Rae Garland's Reviews > Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling

Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling by Michael Boccacino

Aug 03, 12

Read from July 31 to August 03, 2012

Somehow three stars doesn't seem like enough, but four seems slightly too many. I enjoyed this book very much, but felt that it started out far too slow and continued in that manner for far too long. There wasn't enough phantasmagoria (for me) in the middle and the stakes didn't seem quite high enough in the end. So there was some energy lacking for me there. I wasn't as excited as I want to be at those points in a book.

I didn't feel that I got an honest, intimate view of the characters; their inner lives and personalities. If I am to truly love a character, that is something I require to make a connection. Despite these shortcomings, the milieu of The Ending was quite compelling and the baubles contained in the House of Darkling absolutely delightful.

All in all, I would say this book is definitely worth reading if you enjoy Victorian gothic fantasy, the work of H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, even Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams to a degree. I hope you will give it a chance to entertain you. Happy reading.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling.