Bailey (IB Book Blogging)'s Reviews > Crewel

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Aug 02, 2012

Read from July 31 to August 02, 2012

With the rise in the number of YA dystopians out on the market, it is hard for them to stand out individually. However, CREWEL has no problem with this and easily sets itself apart with its extremely imaginative world and lively characters. There isn't a moment of peace for the reader to think about setting CREWEL down for even a second. The plot moves at a fast pace, full of twists and turns that had my jaw dropping. Albin is a brilliant author and I will be jumping at the chance to read the sequel to this one.

Adelice is one of the strongest characters I've ever encountered. How she doesn't completely break down or lash out in the most horrifying of situations is beyond me, but that is what makes her so awe-inspiring. Adelice's talent singles her out from the other girls and makes her a bit of a loner, but that is just what she needs to survive this terrifying yet beautiful world that Albin has created. She is dealt her fair share of blows but also makes some shocking discoveries that empower her even more. This is only the beginning for Adelice, and I can't wait to see where Albin takes her.

I don't even think I could describe the world of CREWEL adequately in any way, yet somehow Albin makes it simple yet so complex. There are so many elements to this book that made me cringe. I cannot imagine being completely at the whims of people who only care about control and the moves that they can make to attain even more of it and power. The thought of my life or anyone elses life being so easily erased and wiped from the minds of others sends chills through me. Yet it is just those elements that make for such an engaging and astonishing.

Those fans of romance even in the most dire of situations (like me) will definitely be gratified by what CREWEL offers. There seems to be the potential for a well-done love triangle, but it is only just budding in CREWEL. It mostly focuses on an individual relationship with just the chance of another. Even if you aren't a fan of love triangles, it is such a small element that you won't have a second thought about it. Well, you may be thinking about the guys involved! They are definitely what I would consider swoon worthy, especially one of them. And I won't name names because discovering for yourself will make the experience all the better.

CREWEL is one of those books that you won't be able to stop thinking about. I am already anxious for the next book, no matter how far away it is. Dystopian and non dystopian fans alike are sure to be awed by the sheer impressiveness CREWEL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crewel.

08/01/2012 page 109
30.0% "Sooo good! I would really love to slap Maela though. She's so evil!!!!"

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen EEEEP! <3 Hope you enjoy!!