Book Concierge's Reviews > Hoot

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Jun 24, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: concierge, library, audio, funny, nature, florida
Read in July, 2012

Audio book read by Chad Lowe
3.5***

Hiaasen turns his imaginative talent to writing children’s literature.

Roy Eberhardt has moved with his family from Montana to Florida. His dad’s job makes the family move frequently, so he’s used to the new-kid routine; school bullies are pretty much the same wherever you are. In fact, he owes a debt of gratitude to Dana Matherson, because if Dana hadn’t attacked Roy on the school bus, Roy never would have seen the running boy. And that’s the first interesting thing he’s seen – so far.

As usual Hiaasen peoples his novels with an array of interesting characters – eco-terrorists, sleazy corporate spokesmen, inept police, harried school teachers, wannabe starlet, and oily politicians. Those familiar with Hiaasen’s adult novels, will recognized a young Skink in Mullet Fingers. Of course, he includes a message of protecting the environment and native species, and developers are the bad guys. But he’s toned it down for the younger audience without talking down to them. I gave this to my nephew last Christmas, and he thought it was … well … a hoot.

Lowe does a great job of the audio book. I especially love his voices for the more eccentric characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hoot.

06/24 marked as: read

message 1: by James (new)

James Thane I picked this up not realizing that it's a YA book. I still enjoyed it and you're right that he tones things down a bit for the younger audience without talking down to them.