Rebecca Brothers's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

Aug 02, 12

Read in July, 2012

Good God almighty, y’all. Jenny Lawson (The Blogess), is just freaking amazingly funny. I picked this book up for that cover–who wouldn’t?! A Hamlet mouse? Alas, poor Yorick?! (which my spell-check is trying to get me to change to “Yo-Rick!” Many of Lawson’s own funniest moments are her frequent battles and existential arguments with spell-check). I don’t know quite what to say, really, except that this is a memoir by an incredibly young woman–she’s in her 30′s–shut up, now, that’s young! And it’s completely worth every uncomfortable moment. I love her disclaimers in the beginning–she tells us right away that we’ll either love her and keep reading smugly while we assume we are cooler than the many, many people who find her crass and offensive and who will stop reading until BAM! she’ll cross over into something we ourselves find a little too much–and then where does that leave us on our own coolness scale?! I want to have Jenny over for drinks–lots of drinks–because she’s cool and because she has anxiety disorder and I don’t think I could handle her sober (either of us sober). It’s a great read–very funny, very disturbing, very quick.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.