Eileen's Reviews > Silver

7208929
Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: mythology, young-adult
Read on August 13, 2012

Check out more of my reviews at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***!

Being a mythology “newbie,” I had no idea what to expect when I started Silver. In fact, I totally jumped in blind, since I have this really unfortunate habit of forgetting synopses as soon as I read them. It just comes in one side of my head and goes out the other. Very true story. However, I was fairly pleased with the results of Silver. It wasn’t my favorite mythology novel, but it was nonetheless a good read.

Brianna has always been invisible. Until one day, a gorgeous boy notices her and a romance kindles between them. Sounds simple, right? Wrong. Obviously, this romance has to bring many complications. And with those complications comes insta-love. Of course, you can’t fit a whole plot of romantic tension between two characters in…384 pages of book without something having to give. Obviously the mythology can’t give, although by that point the mythology aspect was very, very low. So the development of the relationship had to go.

Between the romance, the problem was that when Blake sees Brianna when she’s not being hidden away from him, he immediately feels this connection towards her and she he. (I don’t know if I just used that right…) And then on their “second date” they form this unbreakable bond with each other and suddenly BAM their souls are wound together. What? What? I don’t know about you, but I thought you had to get to know a person more than just “I think you’re pretty” before you intertwine your souls for all eternity. But that’s just me.

Also, since the romance dominated the novel, I felt there was no mythological aspect. I was intrigued by this idea of being these all-mighty goddesses that I was drawn in from the beginning. Brianna was a Seventh Daughter, or, from my understanding, a bandia. (Please tell me I’m right. It’ll be awkward if I’m wrong. I shall assume I’m right for this review though.) However, I was never satisfied. All I understood about being a bandia was “You get to be pretty and seduce boys!” Yeah, that’s not the most appealing way to introduce me to this. I did get a back-story but there was no development from there, which I really would have liked to see. I am hoping the next few books will elaborate on the mythology.

A good thing about Silver was the plot. When there wasn’t romantic tension, which left very little of the story left, there was action. Brianna was a strong character when she needed to be and I liked how she held her own. She jumped off the pages and was a dynamic character that, sure, made mistakes, but learned from them and she was flawed. Since it was her voice narrating the story, it’s crucial to have her voice be compelling and likable, and she certainly fit the bill.

Overall, if you don’t mind a romance that doesn’t have much substance, and a mythological plot line that may not have sung to you in the first book but will hopefully improve for the second, I would recommend Silver. It would be a good read for any romance junkie out there.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver.